The village owes its name to the numerous source which spring from his territory.
We find tracks of Roman time there.
The village belonged to the Lords of Fountains, who built a castle, then to the bishops of Chalon there, who freed the inhabitants in 1299.
The castle was plundered and destroyed in 1569.
There was one prioress Benedictine, a chapel (Saint Nicolas) and several washhouses.