The Archdiocese Museum in the buildings of the former Olomouc Castle is the city’s best and most extensive historical sight. There are three main levels to the museum; the cellars, ground floor and first floor. The original stonework of the old gothic and Romanesque cellars was exposed in the recent reconstruction and there are archaeological findings exhibited here that date back as far as 3500BC.
At the southwest corner of the Olomouc Town Hall, there is the modern Arion fountain. It was created in 2002 as part of the reconstruction of the Upper Square and completed the group of Olomouc Baroque fountains inspired by ancient Greek mythology. Its author is the sculptor Ivan Theimer, a famous native of Olomouc living in France. The subject of the sculptural decoration is an ancient legend of the Greek poet, singer and kithara player Arion rescued from the sea by a dolphin attracted by his singing.
The oval pool of the fountain is recessed below the pavement and carries three bronze sculptural groups: an obelisk on the shell of a monumental turtle, sculpture of two children and the standing figure of Arion with a dolphin. Another turtle is located next to the fountain, much to the delight of children. The statues are covered by a detailed relief décor celebrating Moravia, the city of Olomouc and its inhabitants.
The pilgrimage site Svatý Kopeček (The Holy Hill) is part of the city of Olomouc. It is located about 8 km from the Olomouc city centre. Today's pilgrimage area on the Holy Hill with a residence and a cloister was built on a traditional pilgrimage place. A small chapel was built here around 1632. According to legend it was founded by an Olomouc citizen and wine merchant Jan Andrýsek. He was asked in a dream by the Virgin Mary to build the chapel.
On the place of the former chapel, a monumental Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Marygrew in the years 1669-1679 according to the plans of the architect G.P. Tencallo. In the years 1714-1721 the present residence area was constructed to the plans of D. Martinelli and the entire complex was completed by the cloister and the Chapel of the Virgin Mary.
The Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc is the largest group of Baroque statues within a single sculptural monument in Central Europe.
The column reaches a height of 35 metres and its lower part houses a chapel. The sculptural decoration is made of 18 stone sculptures of saints, 12 light-bearers and 6 relief busts of the apostles. The column is dominated by gilded copper sculptures of the Holy Trinity on the top and the Assumption of the Virgin beneath it. The larger-than-life figures are enveloped in light, airy drapery with lively expressions on their faces and corresponding gesticulations of their hands. The overall sculptural decoration has a natural and harmonious appearance without being exaggerated in the typically flamboyant and exaggerated Baroque mode.
Hradisko Monastery was originally a Benedictine monastery, from the mid-12th century apremonstratensian monastery in Olomouc in the Czech Republic. It was established in 1078 and it serves as an military hospital since 1802.
The monumental front face of the Prelature is adorned with sculptured architectural decoration and a portal with columns and a balcony. On the upper floor of the Prelature, there is a ceremonial hall. The leading Austrian painter Paul Troger contributed, along with others, to the inner decoration. Troger painted the monumental ceiling fresco on the theme of Christ’s Feeding of the 5000 in the year 1731. The fresco is surrounded by a painting of illusive architecture by Antonio Tassi. Equally significant is the painting and stucco decoration of the library’s vaults. The Italian painter Innocenzo Monti and the sculptor Baltassare Fontana worked together on it at the beginning of the 18th century.